FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 7, 2013
On Saturday, December 7, 2013, Ruben Peña filed as a democratic candidate for the position of Cameron County Judge.
“My decision to run for Cameron County Judge is rooted in my family’s dedication to public service. My parents taught me that much is expected from those to which much has been given,” stated Peña. “I believe in a better, safer, and more prosperous Cameron County - for all families, young adults, the elderly and our children.”
A lawyer for over 30 years, Peña has been married to Irma Sanchez Peña for over 40 years. They have 4 children and 5 grandchildren. Peña has served as Grand commander for the Order of Alhambras, is member of the Sunrise Rotary club, member of the Knights of Columbus, is an Eagle Scout and member of the Lord of Divine Mercy Parish.
“I believe the citizens of Cameron are ready for new leadership committed to a concrete and transparent plan of action.”
Peña’s top priorities for the County include: increasing economic opportunity in Cameron County by creating an economic development zone; increasing access to basic services for rural residents, including increased access to high speed internet and providing brush pick-up services; work with community leaders and law enforcement to improve safety and combat crime; and preserve the beauty and accessibility of South Padre Island and work with both residents and businesses to balance growth and development.
Ruben’s website will be available on Monday, December 9, 2013. Visit it at www.voterubenpena.com or call 956-793-0924 for more information. See also Ruben’s Plan for Cameron (attached).
Ruben’s Plan for Cameron County
As judge, Ruben will work to implement a transparent and concrete plan that improves the lives of all Cameron County residents.
1. Bolster Economic Development. Ruben will work to create a county wide economic development zone to attract businesses and spur economic development. Ruben will work with local, state and federal leaders to ensure that Cameron has greater share of economic development funds and a seat at the table in Austin and Washington. Ruben will fight to increase economic opportunity and be a tireless advocate for Cameron County as a place for businesses to create new jobs.
2. Launch a campaign to Connect Cameron! As a county, we must increase our connectivity to our neighbors, our work place, and the world. Ruben has a plan to launch a “Connect Cameron!” campaign to achieve the following goals:
- Increase access to high speed Internet for all residents;
- Improve access to clean roads, including county brush pick-up services;
- Facilitate increased transportation by bringing roads and bridges up to State standards;
- Increase accessibility and safety of county parks for all residents.
3. Increase Safety and Reduce Crime. Ruben will work to enhance law enforcement capabilities throughout the county to reduce crime and increase safety. This includes ensuring that residents are a part of a comprehensive crime reduction plan in our neighborhoods.
4. Create Smart Growth in our Natural Areas. Ruben will work with residents and businesses to develop a plan to improve South Padre Island county facilities and increase tourism. Ruben will create a budget to fund revitalization of Isla Blanca, which provides the major source of revenue for the county park system, and improve the conditions of Andie Bowie Park.
5. Strengthen Commission Transparency and Accountability. Ruben believes the role of the government is to serve the people in a transparent, accessible way so that all citizens may be involved in the government process. Ruben will appoint a citizen’s committee to review the county’s ethics policies and offer the Commission recommendations to increase transparency, accountability, and efficiency.